Sunday 1 May 2011

Soft Fruit

The soft fruit in the garden really needed a make over this year. the Blackcurrants had been planted in one of the raised beds over 10 years ago and had become really huge , producing far more fruit than I could deal with. 
I lifted them and gave them away and I now have 4 new young  bushes planted in the field. The  Redcurrant Bushes are full of small fruits and should crop very well as long as I net them in time so that the birds don't get to them first.

Gooseberries had been sharing a bed with the Raspberries . Big mistake.The Raspberries had grown right through them . the Gooseberries have been lifted and transplanted into the field and the Raspberries thinned out and tied into the wires. I'll grow Cauliflowers  and Cabbages  in the rest of this bed after I have added manure and fish meal .
The strawberries were replaced last year with new plants.If we can keep the Blackbirds from eating them we should get a good crop.
The rhubarb is looking a bit week this may be due to lack of rain , but it is desperate to have a new home. I must move it next winter before it comes into growth.


Loganberries Tayberries  and Blackberries are grown against the concrete wall along wires in the field . these are only new  plants and produce some fruit but not a great deal. (this may be due to the grandchildren eating them)

No comments:

Post a Comment