Monday 4 April 2011

Start of April

April has started with cold winds and rain but plenty of greenhouse work to do. The Tomatoes are growing away like mad and I have had to clear the large propagator so they have enough space so they won't go leggy. By the end of the week I will be taking them out of the propagator by day and if the weather is dull I will put them under the grow lights .its expensive but worth it , then they will be put back into the propagator again to keep them warm at night.
I have planted early Sweet Peas in the green house, so I will have plenty for the house nice and early. I love the perfume it fills the greenhouse .
The climbing French Beans and Runner Beans are ready to plant out in the greenhouse , I am trying something quite unusual I have planted them into 1 1/2 litre water bottles and some into empty milk cartons  with holes in the bottom, hopefully it will protect them from the dreaded VOLES .and give them a chance to grow.
 I have moved the electric rat trap to the greenhouse to see if it will catch Voles .Caught no rats with it they are too clever just one mouse was tempted  by  the lure of the peanut butter
The plants for the baskets and tubs are coming on great and have taken cuttings from them and increased my surfinias   to about 50.
I sowed cut and come again salad leaves and herbs about four weeks ago they will be ready to start cutting next week.I have also planted onion sets in pots to use as spring onions .works out cheaper than buying bunches in the super market and fresher and tastier too.
This lovely pot of Ox Slips was a present from my brother Fred I am growing it in the greenhouse so I can collect the seed and then sow it fresh and hopefully plant the seedlings in the Wild Flower  Meadow in the autumn.
The Plum tree must have heard me threatening to prune it severely in the summer 2 days later the buds were producing little white flowers yippee plums (If the wind doesn't blow them away)

No comments:

Post a Comment