Monday 21 March 2011

Camellias

.

Pale Pink
Pale pink with red fleck
Deep Red 


These beautiful Camellias in my garden apart from one which I know is Debbie I’m afraid I don’t know their  names .they were all grown from  3inch cuttings about 15 years ago. The way I rooted the cuttings was totally different from any  that are usually recommended. I use just Perlite in a container without drainage and the perlite is kept fully saturated at all times . (The beauty of Perlite is its ability to hold pockets of water and pockets of air at the same time ) This ensures that the newly forming roots have an adequate supply of water and air. I actually used a glass jar to root mine in so I could see when a good root had formed and was able to judge when to pot the cuttings on. These bushes are now about 4 feet in height apart from Debbie which is about 5 feet .


No comments:

Post a Comment