Tuesday 1 March 2011

Seedlings into pots

Today I pricked out my tomato seedlings into 3 inch pots .Varieties only three this year Moneymaker , Mr Stripy and Pearson . I bought  2 packets of seeds of Moneymaker the first one was Thompson and Morgan expensive and the second one was a cheep brand only 50pence from Netto .the cheep brand I only sowed less than half the packet this has produced 29 seedling .Thompson and Morgan packet has only produced 12 seedlings .
the Mr stripy seeds were also Thompson and Morgan germination very slow only one seedling. The  Pearson  seeds were seeds I had saved myself from plants grown in 2009
the germination on these were quicker and all 20 seeds sown germinated. In my opinion the big seed companies seed isn’t as fresh as it could be.
I also pricked out seedlings of Globe Artichoke I have never grown these before on fact I have never even tasted them, but always wanted to. I have never seen them for sale only on TV cookery programs, I hope I wont be disappointed.
The bulbs in the plant house are coming on in leaps and bounds and each day now is bringing something new . The perfume in the Plant House from the hyacinths is intoxicating especially first thing in the morning after the doors have been closed all night 

No comments:

Post a Comment