Monday 28 March 2011

Pruning, planting ,shedding ,mulching.

A really busy weekend I transplanted all my lilies from pots into the ground around the seating area. They had outgrown the pots and the bulbs are really huge . They should give a really good show this summer.
 The lily bulbs of Regal where transplanted into half barrels 6 to each barrel they will sit just outside the sitting area .
I was unable to put them into their final  positions as a bumble bee has nested down an old mouse hole just where the right hand barrel should sit so I will have to put it up on bricks so we can both share the same spot. It will also protect the bee nest from the rain.
This may sound extreme but the bumble bee is under a lot of stress and they need all the help we can give them.
 The Early potatoes are already through in the 2 greenhouses and are ready for top dressing with compost.
I did a huge amount of pruning Saturday Today  I put all  prunings through the shredder .These shreddings then go onto the flower border ( 1) it holds in the moisture and saves me watering in the summer( 2) it smothers any weeds that may have grown ,and (3) saves me money on not having to buy bark to mulch.
So many plants are now producing flower buds , including fingers crossed the Plum trees. Five years old now and still waitingg

No comments:

Post a Comment