Wednesday 2 February 2011

the History of the garden

The garden has been grown along organic lines since 1975.


The fruit and vegetable garden at the side of the house consists of seven raised beds. These have been fertilized with compost and seaweed for the last 36 years and are now 3 feet higher than the paths.
Here I grow Raspberries, Gooseberries, Strawberries and  Blackcurrants.
One bed is  devoted solely to herbs, which are used both  culinary  and medicinally .
The vegetable patch  is very productive for a small space. Here I grow autumn planted Onion sets , Carrots, Beetroot, Lettuce, Cabbage,  Cauliflower, followed later by Purple Sprouting Broccoli  and Brussel Sprouts.
The garden has three Greenhouses a 24 x 12 ,8 x 10 and 20 x 30 .
The 20 x 30 is used mainly for the raising of plants for the garden and greenhouse ornamentals, 2 of the benches are used in the summer for growing Peppers and Chilies in pots.

The 8 x 10 usually produces 3 crops a year.

The first crop  is early potatoes planted in February so that we have New Potatoes from mid May.
The second crop is Sweet Corn it doesn’t grow well in the garden as here it is so windy. In the greenhouse it flourishes and produces masses of cobs.
The  third crop is Kale and winter lettuce .

The 12 x 24 also produces 3 crops a year

The first crop  also being potatoes in 2 beds and broad beans in the third bed.
The second crop is Tomatoes and Cucumbers under planted with Parsley and French Marigolds in two beds and climbing French beans Runner beans and French beans in the third bed.Not forgetting a small patch of Sweet Peas just for the scent
The third crop is Cabbages, Cauliflowers,  Lettuce, and Chicory  which  hopefully make it through the winter.










2 comments:

  1. Hi Doreen, I read this article and I was impressed with your organic garden, especially tomatoes.
    They are very beautiful, have more fruits, healthy, meticulously arranged and planted with companion. (Ha, ha, ha, I gave the picture zoom, to see how many levels have fruit)
    I have two request from you.
    One
    Your greenhouses are heated?
    two
    I like tomatoes growing technology, since they put up the seed and harvest. Please much!
    You could write a blog post
    I am from Romania and I love tomatoes, but yours are gorgeous.
    Sincerely, Vasi

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Vasi,
    Thank you for your kind comments. to Answer you questions.No my greenhouses are not heated I used to heat them with electricity but it has become too expensive. I do however have several heated propagators at different temperatures I will be starting my tomatoes off in a couple of weeks so I will keep my blog more up to date then .Not an awful lot to post yet spring only just starting with a few snowdrops and daffodils just poking through the soilkind regards Doreen

    ReplyDelete