Sunday 20 February 2011

Sowing tomatoes and peppers

Today I have sown the tomatoes, peppers and chillies.The varieties of tomato are Moneymaker , Mr Stripy and Pearson. The Pearson are from self saved seed. I first grew this variety about 10 years ago. My brother bought these seeds for me from Al Paso Texas. They are a beef steak tomato that is a heavy cropper and starts producing fruit from about 10inches  high on the main stem. The flavour is excellent, it doesn’t have a thick skin yet it does not split.I have not been able to buy these seed in the U.K.
The peppers are yellow red and orange. I used to buy packets of seed for my peppers and I was always disappointed with the germination. One year after my seeds failed to germinate yet again I sowed some pepper seeds out of the fridge from a supermarket pepper they were up in a few days and grew into excellent peppers plants that produced huge Fruits.. So that is what I now do ,e ery year I buy one pepper of each colour eat the pepper and sow the seed .The same for chillies. This year I am growing Jalapenos and Cayenne.
The tomatoes I will be growing in bottomless pots on the soil due to vole infestation last year which devastated the crop. The chillies and peppers I grow in pots on the bench in the plant house as the higher temperatures produce better peppers .The green house soil is colder  

No comments:

Post a Comment